The goals are: To win back the House of Representatives and The Senate. Then to elect an outstanding person to be Speaker Of The House. Then in January of 2007, when the new Congress is seated, impeach and remove both Bush and Cheney. Then our newly-elected Speaker Of The House would become President. At the same time, we de-authorize the war in Iraq, and bring all of our troops home immediately. (The Iraqis would already be expecting this, so they would be as ready as they possibly could be.) Finally, we roll back the most obnoxious legislation recently passed, and try to clean up the mess created by the Bush administration and their Congressional accomplices.
The recent 52-46% victory of Tim Kaine in the Viginia governor's election proves that Bush and anyone associated closely with him can be defeated, even in a normally-Republican state like Virginia. On the Sunday before the election, the race was a dead heat. On Monday, Bush dropped in uninvited to speak for the Republican, Kilgore. On Tuesday, Bush's candidate got wiped out 52-46%. Conclusion: Bush is now the kiss of death if you are running for election.
The reason that Bush has become an overnight loser is that the country no longer trusts him. And Abraham Lincoln tells us what happens when that occurs:
Abraham Lincoln said, "If you once forfeit the confidence of your fellow citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem. It is true that you may fool all of the people some of the time; you can even fool some of the people all the time; but you can't fool all of the people all the time." Source: Questia.com - http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=3961607
If true, this means that Bush is through! Even with no further erosion of trust, he probably could never regain the trust that he has already lost. But more erosion is sure to come, as the full truth of the Administration's lies and cover-ups, plus Delay-related corruption, continues to emerge. Therefore, Bush can never recover. He will not be able to control the Republicans, as before. And any Republican who is too closely associated with him can be defeated in the next election, even in districts which are normally safe for Republicans.
Do you see what this means? The great nightmare is almost over! At this moment, Bush is already neutralized and cannot hurt us any more, because nobody really needs to follow him any longer. All of his agenda is now dead in the water. And we can begin the 2006 election campaigns right now.
All 435 seats of the House of Representatives will be up for election. There will be 33 seats up for election in the Senate. If the country were not upset about anything, both houses of Congress would probably remain under Republican control, given the structural difficulties of unseating incumbents, particularly House incumbents. However, if there is a major groundswell of opposition to Bush-Cheney and all their Congressional collaborators, we Democrats should be able to retake control of both houses of Congress - IF WE ADOPT THE PROPER STRATEGY.
1. Turn the 2006 elections into a referendum on Ultra-Right control of the country, and how deeply irresponsible the Bush-Cheney Ultra-Right administration and its collaborators in Congress have been. (See "Deeply Irresponsible" below.)
2. Identify the Republicans in Congress who have been the most derelict in their duty, failing to challenge the Administration when they should have. Those in the House of Representatives could be called, "The Administration's House Puppets." And those in the Senate could be called "The Administration's Senate Puppets." Together they could be called "The Administration's Congress Puppets."
3. Flatly say that the War in Iraq was a big mistake, and that everybody involved really screwed up in letting it happen. (Senator Lieberman and the other Democratic war hawks take note.) But the real blame falls on the hard-core Ultra-Right within the Administration, because they had decided long ago to start this war, and to hell with the facts.
4. We must come out against any further expansion of "Free Trade" and unrestricted global Capitalism. Corporations need to be wisely and fairly regulated, in the Public interest, or else the strongest ones will join together, defeat all opposition, and will eventually own or control everything. The last time we allowed them to go unregulated, in the 1890's, they almost took over the Country, before Congress put a stop to it. Now they are trying to take over the whole world. This time, they also control the mass media, so they are more dangerous than before. "Free Trade" inevitably will suck good jobs away from high-paying countries (like the USA) into low-paying countries, as the unregulated corporations are perfectly free to hire and fire as they like, unaccountable to any Public authority. If we don't stop them soon, nobody will be able to stop them later.
It is not a good thing to be "Deeply Irresponsible," particularly if you are an elected official. If you are Deeply Irresponsible, then why should anybody ever do what you think they should do? And why should they permit you to continue in whatever office you now hold?
In his recent Veterans Day speech, George W. Bush said, "While it's perfectly legitimate to criticize my decision or the conduct of the war, it is deeply irresponsible to rewrite the history of how that war began," And when I read this, I thought, "He just now perfectly described his own conduct as President: Deeply Irresponsible."
If you look at some of the main things he has done, or tried to do, you will see what I mean:
1. Social Security - The reckless changes he tried but failed to enact were Deeply Irresponsible, because they would have needlessly endangered one of the most successful government programs ever devised, all for the sake of appeasing his anti-government friends.
2. FEMA and Katrina -A bad appointment to be head of FEMA, plus sloppy oversight, led to a needless disaster when Katrina came along. This was Deeply Irresponsible.
3. The 9/11 Attacks - By disregarding all the warnings, he made it possible for the 9/11 attacks to occur. This was Deeply Irresponsible.
4. Tort Reform - He is trying to change the laws so that when someone is badly injured because of a corporation's negligence, it will be very difficult to sue. This is Deeply Irresponsible.
5. Tax Policy - Huge tax giveaways to the very rich, while borrowing more money to pay the bills: this is Deeply Irresponsible.
6. Privatization of Everything - This takes ownership and economic power away from the people and gives it to the corporations, all in the name of supposed "efficiency." It converts Public to Private. Deeply Irresponsible.
7. Deregulation of Everything - By throwing out necessary regulations, he destroys all structure in competition. Thus the corporations run free to do anything they want. And our economy turns into one big street fight, where the most powerful corporations always win everything, and everybody else loses. Deeply Irresponsible.
8. The Idiot War In Iraq - The stupidest thing this country has ever done. Saddam was totally under control and had already destroyed his weapons, as the Bush administration must have known but chose to disregard. Conceived in delusion, justified by lies, begun without planning, botched on all levels: this war may never end. Needless, reckless, murderous, illegal, immoral, inherently wrong - Deeply Irresponsible.
So in the future, whenever we hear the words, "Deeply Irresponsible," we should immediately think of President Bush. And whenever he uses these words for any reason, we should realize that he is talking about himself.
Our positions should be, "Abortions should be safe, legal and rare. Partial-birth abortions should be banned except to save the life of the mother."
We must insist that our Ultra-Left on Abortion must not be allowed to sabotage this election as they have helped to sabotage previous ones. Basically, the Abortion Ultra-Left needs to sit down and be quiet on this issue. Accept what the Mainstream is willing to accept. Half a loaf is better than none.
GAY MARRIAGE/CIVIL UNIONS/RELIGIOUS EXPRESSION IN PUBLIC
Any two people who choose to do so should be allowed to create a "Civil Union Partnership" for the purpose of conducting their domestic lives, just as they can already create other kinds of legal partnerships for other purposes. Sexual obligations could be specified, or not, depending on the agreement of the partners, regardless of the sex of the partners. As with any partnership, it is dissolved on the withdrawal of either party from the partnership.
Marriage is presently defined as the union of one man and one woman. There usually are sexual obligations associated with marriage. We see no reason to change this six-thousand-year definition at this time.
We must also insist that our Ultra-Left on Gay Rights must not be allowed to sabotage this election as they have helped to sabotage previous ones. Basically, the Gay Rights Ultra-Left needs to sit down and be quiet on this issue, the same as our Ultra-Left on Abortion. Accept what the Mainstream is willing to accept. Half a loaf is better than none.
Finally, we must insist that our Anti-Christian Ultra Left not be allowed to sabotage this election as they have helped to sabotage previous ones. Be responsible, guys. We are in no danger whatsoever of having any kind of a theocracy take over, unless you drive all 95% of the God-believing people into the Republican camp. Whether you like it or not, this is not an Atheist country. Live with it. ACLU take note. Also. while you are at it, read the Constitution more carefully. You will see that the actual prohibition is against "establishing" an official State religion, not against allowing religious ideas to be expressed freely in Public places.
Blessings to you. May God help us all.
Rev. Bill McGinnis,
Editor - AmericanDemocrat.net
Director - LoveAllPeople.org
GOD'S ONE LAW FOR ALL MANKIND:
"Love All People As Yourself."
"Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated."
GOD'S ONE LAW FOR ALL MANKIND: "Love All People As Yourself."